Sunday, July 22, 2012

Let's Play Final Fantasy XI: 1-Sided: Introduction

Welcome, Readers! Today I have a treat for you: I decided to go ahead and begin my side project of playing "the game that got away," Final Fantasy XI, a little bit early! As I've mentioned in a previous post, I didn't think I'd ever actually sit down and play this, and I'm not sure how far I'll get, but here it is, and here we go!

But first, we have to install it! I decided to start by going through the 14-day free trial available from Square Enix's website, and of course the downloading is Step 1. Well, not long ago I had gone to my ISP and reduced my broadband speed to the lowest level possible to save some money. I hadn't been watching a lot of YouTube lately, and it had been quite some time since I'd had to download anything substantial, so for a time it was worth it. But RIGHT NOW, it's making a 1-hr download take EIGHT FULL HOURS at 768 Kbps.

Step 2 was bringing my speed back up. That will take effect on Tuesday. Sigh.

Well, finally the 2GB file is mine! I run the install file, and of course I have to install the PlayOnline viewer. Okay! Then I have to update it...? ...Okay! So after maybe 10-15 minutes of that I arrive at the point where I need to register at PlayOnline...and all it does is say I need a Square Enix account. Huh? I made one of those yesterday, ahead of time! Why is this option here if it doesn't work?

So I went ahead and skipped that step for the mo, and I started installing FFXI proper. The install took a while, but it wasn't ridiculous or anything. Then running the game...brings up the PlayOnline viewer. No luck there, so I go to the Square Enix website and finally figure out this PlayOnline ID thing! I enter the registration code for the free trial, and voila! We're online!

So I start up the game, and I see this:

A Word To Our Players

Exploring Vana'diel is a thrilling experience. During your time here, you will be able to talk, join, and adventure with many other individuals in an experience that is unique to online games.

That being said, we have no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence. Don't forget your family, your friends, your school, or your work.*

*Emphasis added.

...Is this really necessary~! O_o I mean, I'd read about that disclaimer before, but actually seeing it was just...wow.

Next step is to play the game! ...Except instead we have to update the game itself now. FOREVER. As of this moment, there are 26033/28909 files remaining to update. Insert "over 9000" joke here.

...I'm going to go play Dragon Quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment