Saturday, July 21, 2012

Let's Play...an MMO?!

Loyal readers! As you may have realized, this project of mine will eventually include every main Dragon Quest game, at least up to the currently released IX (and many spin-offs as well). It's not much of a stretch to assume that I'm also including Final Fantasy (especially if you saw my long-running poll before votes started expiring), and that I intend to do the same with that series, at least up to XII; I don't currently have a system to play XIII on, but we'll see.

That seems straightforward, but one game has been in question: Final Fantasy XI. It's a polarizing title. Is the play style so different that it should have been a spin-off? Does it deserve to be a "numbered" FF game? Even people who have played and enjoyed it don't all agree on that. I myself used to be of the camp that believed it should not have been called "XI," though I admit that was largely because I regretted that I likely wouldn't be able to play it, and it would always be the "missing" FF to me.

Or would it? It's been 10 years since the Japanese release and it's still running, with a fifth expansion soon to be released. I have a better computer than I did at release time, so I don't need expensive hardware for the PS2. The price has also dropped considerably. I think...I think I can do this!

I intend very soon to download the free trial from Square Enix's website. If I decide to keep it up, I won't be able to LP it "Side × Side," so Final Fantasy XI will get the "1-Sided" treatment. And since it's only 1-Sided, I'll continue the Side × Side main LPs alongside it, so no worries there!

But I'd like to close this out with a question: If anyone reading this has played FFXI, what would you suggest for a race? I'm assuming it can't be changed after starting, and I can't make up my mind! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment